Thursday, July 23, 2009
Ten Honest Things About *Me*: Vanity Thursday
This is fun. But hard. Here we go. I took this from Tess who was tagged by L.T.
*Qualifier* you are not allowed to get mad at me for being honest. So if you don't really want to know anything about me, come back tomorrow when I will ramble about writing, society, and nostalgia some more.
1. That's me in the picture above. I just took it. I am not overly stunning. But honest thing number one is that I am vain. I am vain even though I know I am not the prettiest person. I simply always think I should be. At 5 foot nothing and with middle age acne, I still feel beeeeutifuuuuul when I look in the mirror. I can't seem to understand why everyone doesn't agree with me? Hmmmm.
2. I don't like massages. I avoid them at all costs. Ewwwwwww! I have given away gift certificates to day spas. I am not a fan of being touched by strangers. I don't like them from family members either. I call it "extended touching." Not for me.
3. I never thought I would get married. I turned down 3 proposals (to be fair, only one of them had a ring) before I said yes to Bill. 3a:(I am superstitious and believe that he is my soul mate)
4. I never thought I would have more than one child. I have three. I am consistently surprised by this and need to take to my bed to recover. *visualize a very dramatic back of the hand to my forehead*
5. I try drinking too much. Even though my father is a recovering alcoholic, I find something tragic and dark and lovely at the core of addiction. But my body has three drinks and throws up. I know, I know, I am lucky... but still... the ice in the glass, the middle of the afternoon martini, the slurring mother in the indecent lingerie, how I aspired to be her. And I'm not. BUT: I made her into a character in Haunting Anne. Ah, how I love her. Poor, poor Lucy. It was so enormously SAD when.... (whoops, almost gave you a spoiler!)
6. I have a potty mouth. Very foul. My favorite word is not one I will write down. It starts with F. It is supremely versatile, it can be an adjective, a noun, a verb... whatever you want it to be! A word that is ALWAYS there for me whenever I need it. What a word. *sigh* It was one of my first ever spoken words, so my mother tells me. I am consistent, right. No f'n around.
7. I look forward to getting old. Every day has been better than the one before, and I want to be a grandmother. I truly do. I visualize myself all round and in the kitchen making yummy food for little babies who love me and who I can spoil.
8. I used to scream incoherently about 3 times a week. I liked doing it best in an empty bathtub or in my car. It hurt my throat. I stopped doing it right around the time I began writing my novels.
9. My closest in person friends are all aware and accepting that I can't be a joiner and won't attend parties or dinners or ... whatever. I think it makes it even more special when I actually show up. ;)See number 1.
10. The real me, the me that lives in my head, is below. Incognito with a hint of lunacy? Agoraphobic? Oh well. Hi.